With students back in school, parents can stop complaining about their kids’ mental health

“The Radish offers satire and parody as commentary and critique on matters of public interest. No article posted on the Radish should be taken literally or viewed as representing truthful statements of the individuals or organizations which may be mentioned in the articles.”

Image from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Ellie Davis, Editor in Chief

When the pandemic struck in March of 2020, parents were able to experience firsthand the damaging psychological effects of barring children from school. With kids back in school, parents can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that student mental health is no longer a concern. 

One mother, like many, chose to intervene when she witnessed her poor daughter’s suffering. “Sure, maybe I saw signs of my daughter’s poor mental health, but I really took action once  she started bothering me all the time.” As this mother shared, “Normally I get at least 6 hours a day of peace and quiet. During the pandemic, my kids couldn’t leave me alone.” Every time the internet went out or someone complained about not having been fed for several days, the children’s classic elongated shout for “moooommmmm” rang out through the house.  

“I knew I had to get my daughter back in school as soon as possible to help my *cough* I mean her sanity.” Like all reasonable parents who have qualms with the school district, these concerned parents directed their anger directly at the school board with letters. The father made sure to include some not-so-passive aggressive comments, reminding the board members that they are spending his tax dollars and they are on the board to serve his child. As he said in one comment, “forcing kids to stay at home is crippling their emotional well-being and causing serious mental health problems.” The closest example this father gave of any symptoms of poor mental health was saying “I can literally see my daughter’s eyes turn zombie-like with every minute she is chained behind her laptop. Worst of all, I had to play outside with my kids,” he added. “I didn’t sign up for this when I decided to have kids.”

At times, this father had to sit through up to six hours of school board meetings waiting to hear whether students would be returning to school. “Focusing on the school board meetings as the only beacon of hope I had to get my kids out of the house was a welcomed distraction from my children’s tantrums,” she said.  

Now with kids back in school full time, no parents have had to bring up the importance of student mental health at a school board meeting because it is no longer an issue. With the joy of getting to walk through the high school halls once again, no student will ever experience the stress, anxiety, or depression that they had during online learning. 

Sipping a mimosa by herself by the pool at 10:00 a.m. this Tuesday morning, this mother can happily say that her kids’ mental health has never been better.