Radnor’s Elementary School Vaccine Clinic

WES Fifth Grader Beatrice MacKenzie at the second clinic

Edy MacKenzie, Associate Editor

On Thursday, December 16, Radnor Township held the second stage of their vaccine clinic for elementary students at Radnor Elementary School. Following the vaccination approval for children from 5-11 years old, Radnor’s clinic allowed young students the opportunity to receive two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, separated by 3 weeks. Many children, parents, and community members present at the second clinic expressed their gratitude to Radnor for this opportunity.

“I’m really proud of the district being able to pull this together,” commented Radnor parent Theji Brennan. Ithan Elementary parent Mike Rayer also mentioned the clinic’s success: “It was awesome. All the volunteers were here and it really is like a machine, they’re doing a great job.”

Many elementary school students who received the vaccine now look forward to their new protection against COVID. “I’m excited about getting my vaccine because I can hang out with my family and friends more and keep me and other people safe,” said fifth-grade Wayne Elementary student Cate Hudock after her second dose. Mrs. Brennan mentioned her perspective as a volunteer: “I am thrilled to see so many families coming out to get the vaccines, and the kids seem like they are really comfortable with it.”

When asked about the importance of this clinic for young students at Radnor, Wayne Elementary parent Terry Baker expressed a feeling of comfort: “I’m very relieved to have the kids fully vaccinated… it’s a step back towards normalcy.” As Radnor transitions into its second year of handling the pandemic, initiatives such as vaccinating elementary children help illuminate a brighter future away from the virus. For Radnor specifically, ensuring the protection of young students is vital heading into the colder months. “[The vaccine] is going to help protect the kids when they’re in school and hopefully keep the schools open throughout the winter,” added Mr. Rayer.

Even as Radnor experiences the impact of the Omicron variant and steadily rising cases, the vaccine continues to provide added protection against contracting COVID and developing serious symptoms if afflicted. Clinic volunteer and Radnor High School Junior Lauren Kelley told the Radnorite, “I think it’s really important that the majority of the population is protected against COVID, and with the new variants and everything it’s just really great to see all of these families wanting to get vaccinated and wanting their kids to get protected. It’s really exciting seeing the whole community come out for such a great cause.” The Township’s vaccine clinics, which include two High School vaccination initiatives last April/May, have positively impacted Radnor throughout the pandemic. With so many elementary students now fully vaccinated, many families have an increased sense of security against the virus.

Adding to the success of the operation, RTSD imported an Auntie Anne’s truck to Radnor Elementary for the second clinic, while the first clinic hosted a Kona Ice truck. Volunteers from the high school kindly greeted, directed, and encouraged those entering the building. Inside, as students waited after their dose, Paws for People dogs wandered the aisles to provide comfort for the newly vaccinated. Radnor’s clinic for children under 12 provided a fun, comfortable environment for an easy vaccination, which will help to increase virus protection in our schools.