Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23 #1

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

Without pomp or circumstance, Nathan Kellerman has passed on his Roundup torch. As I assume this daunting position, I pay homage to the Roundup’s glorious legacy— but a new year demands a new roster, and Nathan doesn’t have the privilege of red-shirting.

Sports have always served as a uniting factor in my life. For example, smiling at a stranger wearing a Phillies hat and yelling “Red October!” automatically makes us best friends. And it’s always a pleasure to see someone on the streets donning an Eagles jersey, or in my case maybe a Ravens one (born in Baltimore, sorry!). Growing up, nothing beat the emotion of watching the Sixers choke in the playoffs year after year, at least until I experienced that loss myself. As a proud captain of the Radnor Girls Soccer team, our run to almost winning the PIAA 3A State Championship formed my understanding of sports as a whole. Being a part of such a dedicated and talented team with the immense support of the Radnor community behind us has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I’ll never forget how it felt to win a District title or receive raucous applause from elementary-aged Radnor Soccer Club players on my Senior night. I believe that sports are an integral part of the human experience, and through this year’s roundup, I intend to honor Radnor athletics the best I can.

Before we start, thank you to this year’s Sports Editorial Board for their commitment to providing thoughtful and engaging coverage on the Radnorite. I am so excited to continue working with all of you. As it’s already October, we have a lot of ground to cover, so buckle up.

—Edy

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

The cheerleaders started the season strong this June and have been improving since. Freshman Eden Elizardi, a first-year cheerleader, has been working diligently as a base and flier. Maybe this Friday you’ll see her in the air! Speaking of in the air, the cheerleaders have been working with new stunts to perform for the stand. Keep your head up for the stunt pyramid between the first and second quarter during football games, and the flips and tricks between the third and fourth quarters. Since the nine-hour long competition practice on the second weekend of September, the cheerleaders have been rehearsing their routine for the quickly upcoming competition season. This will be their 2nd year since competing, and spirits are high. Team Captain Kelsey Dunkel is bringing her All Star smile to the mat in hopes to take the team to Nationals in Orlando, Florida. A quote from Captain Brooke Struyk, “The team is really living up to our slogan of ‘Hustle, Hit, Never Quit’ and I can’t wait to see how we perform on the mat!”

The Radnor Cheerleading team has been choreographing the routine for the LM pep rally, looking forward to the rally and everything in store. The team has also been working with our very own Radnor football for the annual cheerleading and football dance. The boys have been working on their footwork, which will hopefully increase their performance for upcoming games. Be ready to see the cheerleaders all pinked out for the month of October in support for breast cancer awareness. At Race for the Cure on Sunday October 16th, the cheerleaders cheered on the runners throughout the course.

Crew (girls and boys) – Anna Conen

On Saturday, Radnor Crew hosted its annual Ergathon in front of the Goat’s Beard in Wayne. For Ergathon, the Boys (RBCC) and Girls (RGCC) crew members are split into five teams with each team member taking a turn on an erg, or rowing machine, aiming to row as many meters as possible in seven minutes. After all the rowers went, members of Radnor police and rowers’ parents were invited to take a turn on the erg. Ergathon is an essential event for the crew teams as crew is classified as a club and not a school sport. This means that the crews rely on fundraisers like Ergathon to cover expenses like equipment and coaches’ salaries. Overall, the day proved to be enjoyable and successful for both teams. 

While many Fall sports are winding down, for Radnor Crew, the fall season is still in full swing and only heating up from here. On October 23rd, Radnor crew will participate in the Head of the Charles Regatta, held on the Charles River in Massachusetts. The Head of the Charles is the world’s largest 3-day rowing competition in the world, boasting 11,000 competitors from high schools, colleges, and clubs. Radnor Girls will have a boat competing in the women’s youth eights category and Radnor Boys have boats competing in the Men’s Under-17 Fours and Men’s Youth Fours categories. “I’m looking forward to going to Boston and rowing like there are no consequences,” says Peter Bragden, one of RBCC’s captains. While RGCC and RBCC have had a rivalry in the past, the clubs are now “best friends,” as put by Will Kent, RBCC’s other captain. Cackie Martin, one of RGCC’S captains, is in agreement, describing Radnor crew as a family, and claiming that “this year will be legendary because we are finally friends with RBCC,” so the weekend is sure to be full of camaraderie between clubs as well as fierce competition.  

Field Hockey – Olivia Brubaker 

Radnor Girls Field Hockey came out strong this season with a 9 game win streak. RGFH is ranked second for PIAA 2A field hockey this season with a 13-3 record. With only one week left in the regular season the girls have been working diligently in preparation for playoffs. The team is anticipating their upcoming match against Central League rival Conestoga and is looking for another win this Tuesday at 3:30.  They are also looking forward to celebrating senior night this Thursday against Bonner Prendergast. Stay tuned for more updates as Radnor Girls Field Hockey heads into playoffs.

Football- Olivia Brubaker

Radnor Football started the 2022 season with a 25-6 win over West Philly. They have battled through a few tough Central League matchups but crushed Harriton 39-13. The boys are looking forward to their first home game of the season and finally welcoming Radnor fans back to Prevost this Saturday at 12 against Conestoga. 

Golf (girls and boys) – Will Walsh

Coming off of a lackluster 2021 season for the RAGO Boys, Juniors Shaun Mazzalupi and Luke Evans led the senior-less squad off to a hot start. The boys had great wins against the solid Strath Haven and Penncrest programs; the undefeated Central League title seemed in reach. The team’s biggest obstacle came in a match against Springfield. They had an eleven-shot comeback, with the help of Mazzalupi’s one-under-par round that day. The boys finished their Central League schedule with a perfect record and a win over rival Conestoga. For the first time in years, RAGO was able to form a girls team as well! Led by captain Tegan Kelsall, the girls had some solid wins against a good Springford team and a demanding revenge victory against Conestoga after falling to them earlier in the season. Kelsall was joined by Freshman Elayna Fanelli, Sophomore Molly Ott, and Junior Arden Jansen.

For the postseason, Radnor sent an astonishing fifteen players to the Central League Championships. For the boys, five moved on to Districts: Shaun Mazzalupi, Luke Evans, Robbie and Michael Slinkard, and Russell Yeakel. The girls sent Tegan Kelsall, Arden Jansen and Elayna Fanelli to their respective Districts as well. Captain Shaun Mazzalupi was the only one out of the 8 to qualify for States, which will be played at Penn State Golf Courses on October 17-18. Roll RAGO!

Soccer (boys) – Margarita Moreland

With an 11-3 record, the Gents have had an electric season thus far. During the week before school started, they defeated Upper Merion in a 1-0 victory, but fell short to Downingtown East (0-1). The Gents came back with seven consecutive wins: Harriton (1-0), Penn Wood (8-0), Strath Haven (5-1), Springfield (2-0), Masterman (2-0), Penncrest (1-0), and Marple Newtown (7-1). On September 24, the boys took a bus ride to Episcopal Academy and played a hard-fought game, but it ended in a 0-1 loss. After losing to Lower Merion that following Thursday (0-2), Radnor scored five goals against Garnet Valley’s zero. The gents prevailed over Haverford on October 6 in a 2-1 win. For their Senior Night, the Raptors secured a 2-1 victory against Ridley. Looking forward, Radnor has two regular-season matches remaining: Conestoga and Upper Darby.

Soccer (girls)- Edy MacKenzie

The Radnor Girls Soccer team has fought hard this 2022 season despite some setbacks in their record. After starting out strong with a 3-0 win against Shipley, District 1 rivals Villa Maria came back for last year’s revenge, beating RGS in a 3-0 game. This mixed beginning continued with a tie against Haverford, a win against Harriton, and two losses vs. Downingtown West and Strath Haven. Quickly recovering, RGS entered a four game winning streak, defeating Springfield, Gwynedd Mercy, Penncrest, and Marple Newtown. The girls have collected three wins and four losses since, currently preparing for their final match against Central League rival Conestoga today, Tuesday October 18th, on Encke Field at 7:00. Spectators are always appreciated!

Last Tuesday, RGS celebrated our eleven wonderful seniors during a night game against Upper Darby, which the team won 5-0. Among the four seniors to score that night is Captain Sabina Eraso. When asked about how RGS will tackle districts this year, Sabina replied, “We just need to channel the motivation that we had last year where we all wanted to win as a team and continue our season so that we could all stay together.” Similarly, Sophomore Olivia Jacobs also emphasized the importance of camaraderie toward a successful season: “I love our friendships, our relationships, and I love the energy that we have.”

Tennis (girls) – Mia Xie

After a brief one-week preseason, Radnor’s varsity girls tennis team was off and running. The girls won ten consecutive Central League matches before falling to Conestoga, ending the regular season as second place in the league. Junior Leina Ciarrocchi and senior Mia Xie also found success in the Central League Singles Championship, with Leina claiming her second consecutive title in a hard-fought all-Radnor final. The pair then teamed up for the doubles championship for a 3rd place finish and will be advancing to Districts, where they will be joined by juniors Emma Fox and Sophie Carter. In postseason playoffs, the varsity team consisting of three singles and two doubles pulled off an impressive 4-1 victory against Harriton, but had a tough loss against Unionville the following day in the quarterfinals. While the season may be over for the team, the two doubles pairs competing in Districts are still hard at work and are aiming to qualify for States.

Volleyball – Chayse Hevesi

As the volleyball season approaches its close, Radnor’s varsity team can proudly boast five victories against multiple competitive teams such as Springfield (3-2) and Merion Mercy (3-2). The most recent one took place this past Monday during a home game against Marple Newtown. While JV lost 2-0, varsity scored a fantastic win of 3-0. The first two sets were won easily, but the third was a struggle; nonetheless, the Radnor girls bounced back! Libero Audrey Kuhn received multiple difficult balls, Bryn and Kinsey Carrigan spiked masterfully, and the entire team undeniably established dominance over Marple Newtown. It was an especially wonderful win, as it took place during Senior Night; the excellence of the RGV seniors on the court was clear. Regardless of performance in games, Radnor’s volleyball girls are relishing a successful season, filled with skill development and community. Freshman Ella Diebold, one of JV’s team captains, said that “I enjoyed meeting new people and making good relationships.” Other girls have expressed similar appreciation for the sisterhood that comes with being on the team. Head Coach Sam Lucas stated “we’ve been doing well this season, improving a ton, winning more sets; a lot of this is led by our seniors.” 

Cross Country (boys and girls) – Olivia Dhavale

The boys and girls cross country team have had a marvelous season, as of now. This past week, the team ran at Rose Tree Park for Centrals. Although not a PR week, the team ran wonderfully considering the intensity of the Rose Tree course. When asked about weather at the Saturday meet, sophomore Emma Hyde said, “It was pretty good conditions, slightly warmer because of the sun maybe. The meet, however, had very slow times. The slower times could be attributed to the fact that the team has done many difficult workouts to prepare for districts.” 

Cross country has still been incredibly successful this fall. Luke “Speedy” Bodden broke the 5k school record at Lehigh with a time of 15:40. Junior Zoe Margolies placed 3rd at Delcos and 5th at Centrals with times of 19:40 and 20:07. This Monday was the cross country Senior Night. On the girls team we celebrated: Amelia Dole, Eleanor Adams, Sammy Rosin, and Lauren Kelley. The male seniors commemorated were Gardner Sheehan, Max Rubenstein, Ben Selbach, Cormac Harper, and Phillip John Duffy. They received handmade posters from the underclassmen and personal speeches to go along with them. 

Ultimate Frisbee (girls) – Sofie Jubelirer

The girl’s ultimate frisbee season started at the end of August after their three day preseason at Warren Filipone Memorial Park. Since the team lost thirteen players who graduated last spring, getting more girls involved has been a major goal. Throughout September and a large part of October, the girls hosted practices three times a week. Last Monday they headed into their first game of the season against Pennsbury High School. After about two hours of playing at Edgely fields in Philadelphia, the girls emerged victorious with a 9-7 win! Senior Mariça Ximenes dominated the field with five scores and five defensive blocks, along with sophomore Olivia Cohen Freue’s impressive one handed catch. To end the perfect evening, the team celebrated with some cake and baked goods for their spirit captain Stella Hoang’s birthday! The girls face Haverford High School on October 24th, where they hope to continue building an undefeated record.

Ultimate Frisbee (boys) – Sarah Tachau and Antonio Westby

The boy’s varsity ultimate frisbee team started the season on a promising note, first traveling to New Jersey for the Jersey Devyl II Tournament the weekend of September 17th. There, they finished with a 2-4 record, including a last point winner and impressive performances against some of NJ’s best teams. At the end of the month, the boys hosted Harriton and their strong squad, unfortunately coming away with a tough loss of 7-15. They achieved redemption the following week, winning 15-9 against Strath Haven. On October 8th, the varsity team suffered disappointing defeats to LM and Harriton once again. Despite having one of the smallest squads in the area, Radnor Boys Ultimate is enjoying the fall season with high energy and chemistry. Some individuals who have made their mark so far include Scott Dalkin with his wild aerial acrobatics on many occasions, Dustin Schrader’s spot on arrows, and high energy from Levy Morrison.

Interested in writing for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting!