Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #10

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

The days are getting longer, but Radnor’s winter athletes still don’t rest. This Roundup is packed with updates on your favorite teams and their postseason journeys. For the sports who have wrapped up their seasons within the last two weeks, the Radnor community commends your performance. On my end, I thoroughly enjoyed writing about your accomplishments, and I can’t wait to hear more.

This edition, I have two thank yous to give out. First of all, as always, I am so grateful for the Roundup writers and the life they give to each season. Also, I’d like to shout out Radnor’s fanbase—you guys have truly supported our athletes through everything. Keep on showing up and showing out!

—Edy

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

The District 1 5A tournament is on, and the Radnor boys are bulldozing their way to the final. On Wednesday, February 22, the team met Marple Newtown for the District 1 Class 5A quarterfinals. At halftime, Radnor was already ahead of the Tigers (27-13). Danny Rosenblum and Henry Pierce led the scoreboard with 11 points apiece, and the game concluded in a 55-29 victory, allowing the Raptors to earn a spot in the PIAA tournament. The boys looked to continue their dominance against West Chester Rustin in the sold-out district semifinals on February 25. During the first half, WC Rustin was shooting lights out from three-point land, and they led 29-23 at halftime. For a gym that has not seen the Radnor boys basketball team lose since January 21, 2022, the halftime deficit stunned the home crowd. After the third quarter, the Raptors were still trailing by 1. However, this Radnor team seems to have an unparalleled ability to stay composed under pressure. In the fourth quarter, they rallied and outscored the Golden Knights 23-8. Jackson Hicke contributed with 23 points, and Cooper Mueller added 10 points. Ultimately, the team finished off the Golden Knights with a 66-52 win. This Saturday, March 4, the boys will return to the Liacouras Center at Temple University for the district championship against Unionville. Go buy your tickets on Ticketmaster.

Basketball (girls) – Audrey Rubenstein

RGB’s season has unfortunately come to a close this past week, and it would like to recognize its amazing seniors: Meghan Dole, Paige Yurchak, and Mary Sareen. RGB won’t be the same without you. You’ll be missed!

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

As the cheerleaders finish out their season, they are excited to cheer on the Radnor Basketball game in hopes for the Radnor High School Basketball boys to come with the District 1 5A title. Make sure if you are planning to attend you buy both your game ticket and a ticket for the fan bus. Keep your eyes out as spring rolls around for information on cheerleading tryouts.

Color Guard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

The Color Guard’s competition season continues. Almost two weeks ago, they performed in Avon Grove where the team placed second with a score of 72.15. This past week, the color guard set out all the way to New Jersey to compete in another competition circuit in Millville where they got first place with a score of 68.92. Radnor Color Guard will have their next competition at Upper Moreland on March 11th.

Indoor Track (girls and boys) – Zoe Margolies

The indoor track season has come to an end! The girls team indoor state championship was this past Sunday and our very own pole vaulter, Junior Sophia Hill, came and slayed the competition. She placed 11th, with a height of 11-6! In other news—the Radnor track is finally painted. Now we are totally ready for the outdoor season. Thanks for following the Radnor track season this winter and Radnor Track can’t wait for outdoor!

Squash (girls and boys) – Rhea Howard

The 2022-2023 Squash season has come to an end, with the final match at Nationals last weekend. The Boy’s Varsity, consisting of William Krizek, Arjun Jaswal, Luke Howard, Blake Krizek, William Meyer, Eli Frankel, Will Curley, and Charlie Wallace, played in the fourth division and were seeded last. The Girl’s Varsity, consisting of Rhea Howard, Julia Sareen, Juana Gallino, Meera Singh, and Mia Richter, played in the sixth division and were also seeded last. However, both teams outperformed their seedings. The Boy’s Varsity lost narrowly to the team seeded second in the first round with an overall score of 4-3. Their next match took place later that night where they had a devastating loss, with only Charlie Wallace pulling off a win. The boys took the night to recover and regroup, winning their match the next day with a score of 5-2. The Boy’s Varsity lost their final match with another narrow score of 4-3, landing third to last and outperforming their seeding. The Girl’s Varsity played Nationals as five, with two players, one of them being their captain, out due to sickness. Despite these challenges, the Girls managed to pull off a spectacular win to kick off Radnor’s first girls team at Nationals experience. Forfeiting two games due to the absence of their teammates, the girls were down from the start, but they managed to level the score to 3-3. It came down to points, which the Radnor girls won by a wide margin. The girls lost their next three matches, due to the disadvantage of starting down 2-0, but finished in fourth place and got the first Radnor Girls Varsity Nationals win in the books! The 2022-2023 Squash season was ground-breaking, with the formation of the first Girl’s team in Radnor Squash history, and next year’s season is sure to be just as eventful!

Swimming (girls) – Maly Lindgren

Last Thursday, six members of Radnor Girls Swim, including freshman Alice Lake, sophomores Maly Lindgren and Skyler Semisch, junior Sophia Mlodzienski, and seniors Campbell Coonley and Marina Wang traveled to York, PA to compete in the District 1 championships. Although the girls didn’t record their best performances, Coach Jeremy emphasizes that several swims should still make the State championships, which we will receive final confirmation on next weekend after the remaining districts hold their meets. He describes the meet as “a high pressure situation that demands the best out of the swimmers” and is proud of the way the team “handled the ups and downs”. The highlights of Districts for the girls included Marina Wang’s amazing 100 back to close off a tough weekend, along with the fun van rides, binging Outer Banks together, and of course our custom Districts shirts featuring Coach Jeremy as the Raptor. Now, the remaining RGSwim members head into the final tough stretch of training before tapering down for States.  

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

The Raptors’ season is coming to a close with the boys competing in the District 1 Championship on February 24th and 25th. The boys enjoyed an exciting meet in York; from breakfast at Round the Clock Diner to late-night chess games in the hotel room, Radnor swimmers had a fun end to the season. Many swimmers recorded top season times. Senior captain Ray Luan and Junior Colin Mucksavage had their best swims yet in the 100 backstroke and 500 freestyle, respectively. The 200 medley relay (Luan, Yu, Kellerman, Yu) is shooting for States in mid-March, and will know if they qualified by Sunday the 5th. Junior Andrew Yu had many dominant swims, making the State meet in his 50 freestyle with a time of 21.45. The boys are excited to have the opportunity to swim at States and are ready to enter the offseason in preparation for next year.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.