Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #13

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

As an avid fan of both Taylor Swift and Alex Morgan, I appreciate the number 13. Let’s deem this Roundup a lucky edition considering how successful our spring sports teams are performing. Instead of letting the time off last week slow them down, they’ve pushed even harder to improve.

Thank you again to the Roundup’s spring writers for bringing every edition to life. I’m so excited to read more about our spring sports—I’m sure you are too!

—Edy

Colorguard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

Right before starting their spring break, the color guard took part in two competitions at Garnet Valley on April 1st. The team came in first place at the first competition with a score of 84.45. Later that day, they also took first place with a score of 85.01. The second competition placed Radnor Color Guard third for championships in the MAIN circuit, which will take place on April 23rd at RWJBarnabas Health Arena. Before that, however, the team has two more competitions this Saturday at Abington High School.

Lacrosse (boys) – Parnia Nasrullah

The boys lacrosse team kicked off April by beating Malvern on Saturday, April 1st. The team did not rest and went to Long Island to play Garden City. Unfortunately, Radnor lost to a score of 7-6; however, it was a good learning moment for the team to focus and regroup on Wednesday just in time for their game vs. The Academy of New Church on Thursday, April 6th. Radnor had a swift win with a score of 11-8. This hard earned victory paired well with their off on Easter, the perfect break before beating Strath Haven on Monday, April 10th. The team is off to a great start and are playing Springfield at home this Friday, 14th April at 7. Make sure to go to the game and watch the team play hard and win!

Lacrosse (girls) – Angela Esgro

To start off spring break, the girls lacrosse team fought a hard battle against Garden City High School. Unfortunately the team fell short with a final score of 11-6. Despite the loss, this game helped the team identify different areas of improvement and the girls have been using this loss as motivation. Radnor looks forward to a highly competitive game tonight against Springfield at their Autism Awareness game. 

Track & Field (girls)  – Niva Menon 

As spring break came and went, Radnor Girls Track and Field stayed committed to the cause. Radnor distance runner Zoe Margolies qualified for the PIAA District 1 Champions in the 1600 meter (mile) with a time of 5 minutes and 11 seconds. Radnor Girls Track and Field runners were then back in full swing as spring break came to a close, having their second Delco Meet at Penncrest High School. With the blazing sun beating down on the runners, the Radnor team did not let anything get in their way. Sprinter Kayla Cormier started off the meet by placing 6th overall in both the 100 meter and 200 meter dash. Lauriel Morrison once again dominated on the sand, placing 6th overall in the long jump. Distance runner Emma Hyde placed top 5 in both the 800 meter run and the mile, and Courtney Kearns secured herself a 2nd place win in the mile as well.  Zoe Margolies once again displayed her running talents by not only winning first overall but also qualifying for the PIAA District 1 Championship—-this time, in the 3200 meter run with a time of 11 minutes and 24 seconds. And finally, our favorite pole vaulter Sophia Hill easily cleared the height of 12-3 placing her first overall at the meet and securing her a safe spot at the PIAA District 1 Championship. Congratulations to all the runners on their success so far, there is so much more to come!

Track & Field (boys)  – Niva Menon 

As the Radnor Boys Track and Field Team worked tirelessly through spring break competing and practicing, they were ever ready to get back to show their progress. This week the team headed to Lower Merion High School to compete in their 2nd Delco Meet of the season. As the meet began, Radnor’s 4 by 800 meter relay immediately showed out by placing 5th overall, sprinter Ethan Catoe then placed 2nd in the 100 meter dash, and distance runner Curtis Conner placed 5th overall in the 1600 meter run. The sprinters once again showed their best placing 3rd overall in the 4 by 100 meter relay, and hurdler Mason Shieh brought his A-game placing 6th overall in the 110 meter hurdles. Luke Bodden strided into third place overall in the 800 meter run and was followed by the 4 by 400 relay which secured a 6th place overall win. Finally, field event athletes Ethan Catoe and Liam Janschka both brought it home by placing 1st overall in their respective events—-Catoe won the triple jump and Janschka won in discus throw. To say the least, the Radnor Boys Track and Field team stays dominating, and we are very excited to see more of their big wins!

Ultimate Frisbee (girls)- Sofie Jubelirer

After a relaxing winter, the girls ultimate frisbee team finally got back on the field for their spring season. During their time off, the girls recruited 5 new players, adding to the already 20 who signed up! The team started practicing before the break to get back in shape and figure out the dynamics of the team. For their first game, the girls faced off against one of their toughest opponents: Strath Haven. After a tough loss to Haven in the fall, Radnor wanted the win badly. Within the first two plays, junior captain Rona Liu Zhong scored. The team ended the half 5-3, with a short lead, but still a little too close for comfort. In the second half, the girls hit a streak, scoring three times in a row. However, the most impressive point of the game was sophomore Olivia Cohen Freue’s callahan (when the defender catches the disk in the endzone so it becomes an automatic point). The entire team raced onto the field, and even Strath Haven was in shock. The team stayed strong for the rest of the game which ended with a score of 9-5. There is so much to look forward to for the spring season, with two tournaments these upcomings weekends and games weekly. Stay tuned!

Ultimate Frisbee (boys) – Sarah Tachau and Antonio Westby

The boys are swinging through the spring with six games under their belt so far. Four of those were played in the Haverford Huckfest tournament, when the team fought hard in downpouring conditions. They left the fields with two narrow, one-point losses against Holy Ghost and Lower Merion. The team was driven to get back on their feet, and they did just that by demolishing Methacton in their next game. Notable player standouts include Antonio Westby earning the defensive MVP once again and Kethan Kalra dominating the air. Radnor Boys Ultimate is beyond excited for the rest of the spring season, as they pick up speed from last fall.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.