Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #5

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

As students prepare to spend their break relaxing, catching up on sleep, and celebrating the holidays, Radnor’s winter athletes refuse to quit. They continue to face everything from weight room training, to all-star games, to 3-hour long swim practices. For them, the perfect gift this year is a winning record or a hard-earned victory. I recommend showing up and supporting them whenever possible! An encouraging crowd can make all the difference to our enduring athletes.

The Radnorite’s gift to you is this Roundup, Edition #5. Sorry it didn’t come wrapped or with a bow, but special thanks to our Sports Editorial Board for putting it all together. Happy holidays to everyone celebrating—we’ll see you next year!

One last note: This past week, Radnor Squash played the first girl’s match in Radnor history! Congrats to the whole team on this amazing accomplishment.

—Edy

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

The Radnor Boys Basketball team is here to get things done this season. On Thursday, December 8, the boys faced Springfield on our home court. Princeton commit Jackson Hicke scored 12 points; just behind the skilled senior was junior Henry Pierce, who proved his talents in the lane by dropping 11 points on the Cougars. The game concluded in a 53-37 statement victory to start off the season. For their second game, Radnor crushed Penncrest by 30 points, with Danny Rosenblum showing off his defensive prowess and basketball IQ as the formidable point guard. The boys continued their impressive start as they took a bus over to Harriton High School on Thursday, December 15 and took down the Rams (72-49). Offensive stars Jackson Hicke (23 pts) and Charlie Thornton (15 pts) led the scoreboard. Coming off three consecutive wins, the Raptors battled Archbishop Ryan High School at the Fifth Annual Diane Mosco Invitational Shootout. Archbishop Ryan had previously been ranked #5 in the state and were favored over Radnor. Cooper Mueller, Michael Savadove, and Nick Monty locked down Archbishop Ryan’s offense, and the match concluded in a 57-42 triumph for the Raptors. Ultimately, this game demonstrated the team’s ability to take on one of the most well-respected teams in the area.

Basketball (girls) – Audrey Rubenstein

Radnor Girls Basketball is hyped to head into their game at Strath Haven on Thursday with a 5-2 record for the season with a 3-game winning streak. While RGB put up a good fight against Springfield, especially Mary Sareen who led the team with 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 steals, it ended with a tough loss for the girls (32 – 47). Radnor was ready to bounce back and did so effectively in their wins against Penncrest (37-33) and Harriton (54-46). The Delco Times came out to watch RGB play against Harriton and Kate Gallagher put on enough of a show, with 19 points in the game, to score a post game interview. Freshman Anna Reger had her first varsity start as a freshman to help Radnor secure its win against Marple on Tuesday. 

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the cheerleaders were unable to complete this past weekend; however, the squad is keeping their heads up for the quickly approaching UCA regionals competition. The main goal of this competition is to receive a bid to UCA states in Hershey Park. The stakes are high, but hopefully the cheerleaders will pull through with a win.

The winter season means winter sports. The cheerleaders are excited to show off their new skills and interactive dances alongside the Ruckus. With the Radnor Boys Basketball win on December 20th, the cheerleaders are hopeful to see the team come out on top. However, until the boys score 10 points, the cheerleaders will remain silent along with the crowd for Thursday’s “silent night” game. We are looking forward to seeing a large showing.

Ice Hockey (boys) – Olivia Brubaker

After a frustrating 4-5 loss to Strath Haven on the 9th, RAHO has maintained a three game winning streak and is looking to keep the momentum up as they head into the New Year. The boys faced Strath Haven back to back and crushed them 9-0 in their rematch last Thursday, with goals from Wim Van Rossum, Tucker Graham (2), and hat tricks for both Colin French and Drew Knight. The team ended the week on a high note beating Ridley 9-1 the next day. This past Monday RAHO battled it out against Unionville and pulled out with a 6-5 win. Colin French tied the game with less than two minutes to go and Drew Knight scored the game winning goal with just under a minute left in the 3rd period. Radnor Boys Ice Hockey also recently announced their 2022-23 captains, Tucker Graham (Captain), Connor Baumann (Alternate), and Drew Knight (Alternate). The captains will also be representing Radnor in the 2023 ICSHL All Star game January 1st at Ice Line. The boys look to keep their winning streak alive this week as they prepare to take on WC East this Thursday at Ice Line. 

Ice Hockey (girls) – Olivia Brubaker

In the past two weeks Radnor Girls Ice Hockey has had two tough losses to Central League rivals Conestoga and Lower Merion respectively. On the 9th, RGIH had their highly anticipated rematch against Conestoga, but due to holes in the ice, the game couldn’t start until 10:45 pm. Although Radnor came out strong, the late night got the best of them and they ultimately fell 2-5. The following Friday, the girls played LM and held them 4-2 until goals late in the 3rd period led the Aces to victory. After these frustrating losses, the girls have been putting in the work at practice and are looking forward to their next game against Kingsway this Friday at Ice Works. 

Indoor Track (girls and boys) – Zoe Margolies

The track season is finally here. Indoor started off a little rocky, as both teams had to practice on Encke alongside the lacrosse team, however we’re now officially running on our own track! Starting off strong, we had two meets at Ursinus. Local legend Sophia Hill dominated with both first place and second place wins. Junior Courtney Kearns came in third place and helped the girls to a 6th place finish in the DMR the following weekend. This past weekend, the girls headed to the most amazing place on Earth and Pete Davidson’s homeland: Staten Island! There, Zoe Margolies came in 7th place for the mile. Captain Amelia Dole and freshman Lauriel Morrison participated in the 300. Both girls also ran in the 4×200 relay, along with juniors Alaizya Moses and Julia Salinero. The competition was tough, but all did an amazing job.

Luke Bodden finished his Cross Country season on December 3rd in Alabama, competing at the Garmin Running Lane Cross Country Championships. After his break, he came back with a win in the 3K at Lehigh. On the sprinter side, Amir Byrd is back. He split a 24 at Lehigh during the same race as Luke, alongside helping the boy’s 4×200 relay. The boys are definitely killing it this year and fans are excited to hear more!

Squash (girls and boys) – Rhea Howard

Led by captain Darci McRae, the Radnor Girls Squash team made history this week with their match against Germantown Friends School, the first girl’s team match in Radnor Squash history. The girls lost 8-0, but played incredibly and managed to get a point in every game. The Radnor Girls Squash team is young, but improving quickly as they continue to practice. The co-ed varsity recently played the Shipley School and lost 6-1; the only match won was by Luke Howard who lost the first two games but made a spectacular comeback to maintain his winning streak. Against Malvern Prep, the coed varsity won 6-1 but lost over the weekend to La Salle Boys with the same score. The most crushing defeats came in the Lower Merion Varsity match last week, with a score of 9-0, and the Lower Merion JV match on Tuesday, also with a score of 9-0. RHSSQ finishes the year with a Radnor Girls match against the Conestoga Varsity squad this week, where they look to win their first match in history.

Swimming (girls) – Martina Becerril

The RHS Girls Swim Team has been bustling with meets and events! On Thursday, December 15th, the team competed against Marple Newton which resulted in a hearty win (132-52). The girls swam very strongly with a plethora of swimmers winning their events such as Skyler Semisch, Alexsia Kim, Anne Lindgren, Sophia Mlodzienski, Kaitlin Browne, Marina Wang, and Emma Burke. Coach Jeremy said, “The meet went well and some people’s times qualified for districts!” This is very exciting news for those qualifiers and the team in general. There was also a meet at Bucknell University which only certain swimmers attended. Overall, the team performed excellent in both meets and is ready to leap into tougher training to keep up the winning streak.

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

The week of December 12th was busy for Radnor Boys Swimming with two of the team’s first meets. On Thursday, the team competed away against Marple Newtown, handily winning with a score of 117-63. The boys swam well across the board, with top swims from Captain PJ Duffy in the 200 freestyle and freshman Alex Yu in the 100 butterfly. Duffy was proud of the team’s showing, saying “the hard work we’ve put into practice carried into the meet… and everyone had a great early season time to work off of.” After a short practice on Friday, Radnor Swimming made for Bucknell University to swim against ten teams from across PA at the Kinney Invitational. On a snowy Saturday morning, the boys had an incredibly strong performance with an overall finish in second place. Sophomore Luca Jones and Junior Colin Mucksavage had especially impressive swims with Jones breaking the 23 second barrier swimming freestyle in the 200 medley relay and Mucksavage recording a time of 5:10.81 in the 500 yard free. The team was very pleased with the outcome of both meets and is ready to jump into a week of challenging winter break practices.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.