Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #6

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

The Radnor Sports Roundup is back and ready to kick off the new year strong. I hope everyone had a relaxing break, because our winter athletes didn’t stop! They traveled the country, secured winning streaks, and made Radnor history. As always, the Roundup serves to summarize their amazing accomplishments.

Thanks again to the Radnor Editorial Board for your consistent coverage. I’m so thankful for each of you.

My New Year’s resolution? Report on a successful winter season for every Radnor Sport. Looks like I’m off to a great start!

—Edy

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

The Radnor Boys basketball team defeated Marple Newtown on Tuesday, December 20 with a 61-40 win. That following Thursday, the boys secured a thrilling win against Strath Haven (65-33). Over winter break, the team took a flight down to sunny Orlando, Florida to participate in the Holiday Tournament, where they defeated Worcester North (43-41), United (61-36), and Archbishop Rummel (57-42). Ultimately, Radnor took home the championship trophy and senior Charlie Thornton won MVP. 

Basketball (girls) – Audrey Rubenstein

Radnor Girls Basketball continues to show their talent as they enter their game this Saturday against Garnet Valley being 9-3. Before leaving for the break, RGB took on Strath Haven, and while the game was close until the end, the Raptors took the win with a victory of 52-45. Over the break, the girls traveled down to Charleston, South Carolina to play some new competition and were 2-1 for the trip. The opportunity allowed RGB to do some team bonding while still competing at a high level. Coming back from Charleston, RGB got right back into the swing of things and were preparing for big games against Ridley and Garnet Valley this week. Thursday night, RGB got it done and beat Ridley 56-50. The game was a team effort; Mary Sareen had 16 points, Anna Reger came up with 12, and Kate Gallagher had 9 points and 7 rebounds. RGB is hoping to see everyone at the game against Garnet Valley at 1:30pm in the Main Gym on Saturday!

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

The cheerleaders have been busy with preparation for upcoming competitions. This weekend the cheerleaders are heading to CB South for UCA Districts. Depending on the results and scores, the cheerleaders may have an opportunity to go to Hershey Park for States. The cheerleaders are also looking forward to cheering for future basketball games and bocce games. As well as the more local state competitions, the cheerleaders are excited to improve the routine for Nationals in Orlando, Florida. The cheerleaders will also have a table for this year’s Winterfest to give information for the 8th graders, so look out for the table this Monday.

Ice Hockey (boys) – Olivia Brubaker

RAHO was off for the holidays but the boys are kicking off the New Year with a rematch against Marple Newtown this Friday at Oaks Center Ice. 

Ice Hockey (girls) – Olivia Brubaker

Radnor Girls Ice Hockey enjoyed a relaxing winter break and are excited to get back on the ice against WC East this Friday at 8:10 pm at Ice Line. 

Squash (girls and boys) – Rhea Howard

The Radnor Girls team celebrated multiple milestones on December 22nd, when they took on the Conestoga Girls Varsity at the Berwyn Squash and Fitness Club. Sophomore and number two, Julia Sareen, won the first Radnor Girls Squash game with a score of 11-7. Though Julia lost in a close four game match, she made history by winning the second game. The Radnor Girls Squash team also celebrated their first match win by sophomore and number one, Rhea Howard. The Girls Varsity lost 7-1, but headed into winter break victorious, having accomplished what they set out to in the match. Yesterday, the coed Junior Varsity headed out to the Hill School to take on their JV Boys team. The only win came from number 1 on JV, Julia Sareen, who pulled off a comeback from 2-0 down and won the match in five games. With the new year comes more matches, as the coed Varsity hosts Princeton Day School and Tower Hill School this Saturday. After a rejuvenating break, the Radnor Squash team is prepared to play their hardest and will surely celebrate more milestones along the way!

Swimming (girls) – Maly Lindgren

RGSwim is in a great spot heading out of tough winter break training, and excited to get back to competing! After a one-point loss to Lower Merion right before the break, the girls went into the time off from school ready to work hard in the pool. That loss served as motivation to train hard to be ready to take on the upcoming competition. With the retirement of the boys’ coach at the end of last season, the girls and boys teams combined, creating a new dynamic. Captain Holly Bevenour says the team is “adapting well” despite the challenges that come along with that change. Coach Jeremy Byrne emphasizes the same, saying, “while practices and tone are different, the athletes are responding to the training, and look to do amazing things this season”.  Now that we are in the back-half of the season, our attention turns to the postseason and swimming well in January to set ourselves up for good performances later. Fueled by a pasta party, the girls are hoping to add another win against Harriton in our next meet. Finally, as Captain Holly says, “Woooo RGSwim”!! 

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

Radnor boys swimming kicked off the new year with an exciting week of practices. Following an electrifying win against Lower Merion (91-85), the team practiced at Springton Lake Middle School over winter break, getting in tough yards to prepare for a month packed with meets. On Thursday the 5th, the undefeated boys won against Harriton with a late comeback. Junior Michael Rayer had a pivotal swim in the 100 breaststroke, touching out Harriton to secure Radnor 4 points. Junior Colin Mucksavage “thought the meet went well,” saying “we had some good team spirit, and it motivated us throughout the meet.” Radnor has 5 remaining dual meets, wrapping up the season against Ridley on January 30th. The boys are ready to finish the season strong and move into championship meets in February and March.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.