Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #7

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

With midterms fast approaching, every Radnor student deserves to take a quick break from studying and catch up on Radnor sports news. No Math grade or English paper should get in the way of your athletic education. So sit back, take a deep breath, and read all about Radnor’s star-studded performances on the court, the ice, the track, the pool, and any other venue shielded from winter weather!

Again, thank you to the Radnor Editorial Board for providing us with this Roundup. I hope you take the time to appreciate your hard work!

—Edy

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

After basking in the Florida sun and bringing home a championship trophy from the Holiday Tournament, the boys basketball team faced Ridley on Thursday, January 5. Senior Jackson Hicke dropped 28 points for Radnor, concluding in a 60-33 win. That following weekend, the team traveled to Garnet Valley High School and escaped with a close win in overtime; Rochester-bound Danny Rosenblum led the Raptors with 19 points. With 12 seconds remaining in overtime, Cooper Mueller intercepted the basketball and slammed home a monster dunk to finish off the Jaguars (56-51). Continuing their undefeated streak, the boys defeated Conestoga on Tuesday, January 10. Senior Jackson Gaffney, coming off a foot injury, secured 8 points, along with Charlie Thornton (9 points). The game concluded in a 57-31 victory. Gaffney will look to bolster this already star-studded Radnor side with his height (6’7”) and his past experience playing in the Philadelphia Catholic League. On Friday the 13th, the boys played against Haverford High School. The Fords came out looking scary, but the Raptors were not phased. Nick “Menace” Monty was a frightening force in the paint, and Charlie Thornton pitched in with 14 points. Ultimately, Radnor prevailed over Haverford (58-39). After a three-day weekend, the team came out victorious against Holy Ghost Prep (50-35). Elijah “King Elio” Sellers was a force to be reckoned with on the court. Looking forward, Radnor will face rival Lower Merion on Tuesday, January 24. 

Basketball (girls) – Audrey Rubenstein

RGB has been going through the tough part of the season. While they have come up short the past three games, it wasn’t for lack of effort. The game against Garnett Valley was kept close until the end with a final score of 44-54, Garnett taking the win. They next went up against Conestoga, keeping the score low in the first half restricting Conestoga to under 15 points. Conestoga did leave with the win after a score of 23-47, and while the Haverford game wasn’t as close with a final score of 26-60, RGB is learning from each game. They are looking forward to the game at Upper Darby this Thursday and are hoping to redeem themselves with a win.

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

The Radnor cheerleaders are going to Hershey! The cheerleaders performed their routine at CB South with zero deductions and were lucky enough to receive a bid to States. Rad Cheer had been updating and improving their routine for States and quickly approaching National competitions. Captain Kelsey Dunkel said, “I am so proud of the team, and we are all so excited to advance and to see what else we can accomplish this season.” Keep your eyes out for updates from the cheer team!

Color Guard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

The Radnor Color Guard is excited to perform at their first show of the indoor season on Saturday, January 21 and take part in their first competition the following week. This will be the rookie indoor season for almost half the members on the team. More details about Radnor Color Guard’s 2023 show will be announced around the time of the first competition. The team has also begun rehearsing for the parade that will be performed with the band in Disney World at the beginning of February.

Ice Hockey (boys) – Olivia Brubaker

On Friday January 6th, RAHO faced Marple Newtown for the second time this season in another close matchup, but they ultimately fell 8-11. Their game against OJR on Friday the 13th was chosen as the Flyer’s Cup game of the week and was also Elementary Night. But with key members of the team missing, the boys fell 0-8. They are looking to come back strong this week against Haverford on Thursday and Garnet Valley on Friday. The team will be celebrating their 12 seniors on Senior Night against Garnet Valley at 7:50 at Ice Line. 

Ice Hockey (girls) – Olivia Brubaker

Radnor Girls Ice Hockey faced WC East on January 6th and battled them on their senior night, unfortunately losing 4-9. After their game against WC Henderson was postponed on Friday the 13th due to COVID, the girls went neck and neck with Kingsway this past Monday. Although the game was tied heading into the third period, a few late goals allowed Kingsway to pull away with the win. RGIH faces LM in a highly anticipated rematch this Friday at 8:30 at Ice Works.

Indoor Track (boys) – Zoe Margolies

At a Penn State excursion, the boys team brought the heat! Luke Bodden came and conquered with a first place win of 9:04 in the 3K. There were also many PRs: Quinn Schultz in the open 200, Lionel Dunbar in the 60m dash, Jacob Shalev in the open 400, Max Rubenstien and Gardener Sheehan in the open 800, and Curtis Connor and Nate Halberstat in the open mile. The iconic 4×200 also came with a 6th place win. Last weekend, the boys went to Lehigh for a league meet. They left school at 4:30, and came home around midnight. They would have probably preferred being asleep by then, but anything for winter track!

Indoor Track (girls) – Zoe Margolies

On Friday, January 6, the girls and boys team ventured on a 3-hour van ride to Penn State! The boys team had their famous dinner out, while the girls munched on their annual Olive Garden. Captain Amelia Dole and Junior Courtney Kearns ran the open 800, both earning PRs for the season! They also participated in the 4×800 with Zoe Margolies and Julia Salinero. Although the relay raced in the slower heat, they came in 8th place altogether. Julia also ran a season’s best in the open 400 alongside Sonia Dougherty. Lauriel Morrison and Alayzia Moses participated in the 200 and ran their best times.

Last weekend, the girls traveled to Kutztown. Although the track was more of a gym floor, everyone had a lot of fun in 4×200 relays. Those who participated (Amelia, Courtney, Alayzia, Lauriel, Julia, Sophia Hill, Sonia, and Siena Lavelle) said the race was fast and very enjoyable. Sophia also came in first (as usual) for pole vaulting. There was so much fun and success this season!

Squash (girls and boys) – Rhea Howard

It has been a busy couple of weeks for the Radnor Squash team with two varsity matches and two girls team matches. The Coed Varsity played two matches on January 7th against Tower Hill School and Princeton Day School. The team celebrated match wins from Julia Sareen and Charlie Wallace against Tower Hill School, but lost overall 7-2. The match against Princeton Day School was tougher as the Varsity lost 9-0, with nobody managing to score a game. However, the Radnor Girls Squash team found success with their first overall match win against the combined Harriton/LM Squash team. With a score of 6-2, the Radnor Girls Squash team makes history yet again! The next day, the Radnor Girls team set off to the Agnes Irwin School to play their JV team and unfortunately lost 9-0. Both the Coed Varsity and the Girls team lost 9-0 within the past two weeks, but Coach Wright reassured them that “losing 9-0 builds character!” The Coed Varsity will head off to New Jersey to rematch Princeton Day School this Friday, hopefully with a more positive outcome!

Swimming (girls) – Martina Becerril

RGSwim kicked off this week with their determination rising. Following the win against Harriton, the girls made sure to practice strong and hard to keep up the good work. Practice does make perfect, evident after their outstanding win against Penncrest. Picture day, a very exciting event, is occurring Thursday at 3:30 pm. After practice the team will receive Chick-Fil-A food brought by the Booster Club. The girls have shown the team that even through a loss against Lower Merion, they surely have not given up. The team is ready to dive into rigorous training to prepare for an upcoming meet against Conestoga this Friday. Armed with the fuel from an approaching pasta party and days from prepping, the girls are ready to show the rival school what they got!

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

Radnor boys swimming is wrapping up its dual meet season in January, competing against a strong Conestoga this Friday. The boys swam well against Penncrest last Thursday, the 12th, with a score of 99-69, improving to 4-0 – tied for 1st in the Central League. Swimmers are hoping to record fast times this January to qualify for the upcoming Central League Championships on February 10th and 11th and the District 1 Championship in late February. Sophomore Timmy Ledbetter expresses excitement for the remaining dual meets and post-season meets, saying that he thinks “the team will perform well over the next couple of months,” and that he is “looking forward to seeing some time drops and meet-qualifying performances soon from our hard work at practices.” With Senior Night fast approaching Monday the 30th, Radnor swimmers are eager to dive into the postseason with their fastest times yet.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.