Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #9

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

I’ll be short and to the point—Radnor sports are dominating this winter season. Their accomplishments have been unmatched. They’ve created history. I’ve loved reporting on their achievements, and I hope our Sports Editorial Board feels the same way! As always, thank you to the fabulous Roundup writers for their commitment to this series.

I won’t waste your time any longer. Read on!

—Edy

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

The Radnor Boys Basketball team set out this season with a dream: to be the first team in Radnor’s history to win a Central Athletic League championship. After an undefeated (23-0) season, that dream became reality. In a season that electrified and thrilled game after game, the boys played with heart, character, and above all, a remarkable team spirit. 

On Thursday, February 2, the boys breezily secured their 21st victory against Marple Newtown (60-36), with Jackson Gaffney contributing 11 points. That following Tuesday, Jackson Hicke pulled through with 20 points against Strath Haven. His performance also earned him his 1,000th career point, a remarkable milestone for the Princeton bound senior. Michael Savadove crashed the glass with 7 rebounds, and the game concluded in a 68-48 win for the Raptors. Radnor looked to defend their home court in the CAL semifinals against Springfield on Saturday, February 11; Cooper Mueller rose to the occasion with 12 points and 3 assists. After ultimately prevailing over the Cougars (65-34), the boys faced their fierce rival Lower Merion in the CAL Championship Final at Harriton High School. 

The two teams were neck-and-neck throughout the first half, which finished in a 23-23 tie. The Raptors, however, came out of the locker room after the break with one thing in mind: victory. Throughout the game, Charlie Thornton was a man possessed, and he came alive when it mattered most. He was on fire from behind the arc and accomplished a career-high of 26 points, while Danny Rosenblum had 7 assists. For the first time in history, Radnor won the Central League title (60-47). 

To quote the late, great Kobe Bryant, “job’s not finished.” The District 1 Tournament is set to begin on Wednesday, February 22. Radnor will receive a first-round bye and must win only one game to get to semifinals and secure a spot in the PIAA tournament. After a heartbreaking loss in the final last year, the Raptors will once again look to make history and add another trophy to this run. This once-in-a-generation team is not something to miss, so buy your tickets while you still can. 

Basketball (girls) – Audrey Rubenstein

Radnor Girls Basketball took on Marple Newtown High School and came up with a clutch win of 51-48 in overtime to secure their spot in Districts and Central League playoffs. Kate Gallagher and Caroline Monohan played outstanding games with Kate scoring 12 along with 6 rebounds, and Caroline dropping 13 points. It was overall a team effort with the majority of the team putting up points throughout the game. Mary Sareen did it again in the game against Strath Haven by putting up 26 POINTS, and leading the team to a win of 52-45. The team began their Central League playoffs against Garnet Valley leading to a close game but took it away in the fourth quarter leading to a  win of 50-32. Mary Sareen once again led the team in points with 16, Meghan Dole came through with 9, and Kate Gallagher collected 7 rebounds. RGB’s first playoff win led to a tough game against Haverford, unfortunately losing 40-59. The girls are looking to bounce back this Friday at 7pm against Pheonixville at home! 

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

Radnor Cheerleading has returned from Nationals. Unfortunately they did not come home National Champions, but they did accomplish performing their routine and receiving .5 of a deduction. The cheerleaders also can say that they performed in Orlando Florida’s National Competition for the first time in Radnor High School history. As the cheerleading season comes to an end, the team is excited to cheer on the Radnor Boys Basketball team as they move forward in their bracket. Additionally, The cheerleaders are excited for this year’s Valentine’s Day clinic on Sunday, February 19th.

Color Guard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

The Radnor Color Guard joined the band in a parade down Main Street in Disney. This was not a part of a competition, but rather an opportunity to perform in front of a different audience with a different type of routine. After taking a break from competitions and using this past Saturday to catch up on their show, the team is ready to jump back into their season. Radnor Color Guard will compete this Saturday at Avon Grove High School and at Millville High School the following Saturday.

Ice Hockey (boys) – Olivia Brubaker

Radnor Boys Ice Hockey continued their winning streak defeating Great Valley 9-5 on February 3rd. Drew Knight scored 6 goals, Ryan Carr had two, and Tucker Graham scored one. On the 15th, RAHO took it outside in the second annual Main Line Cup vs LM but lost 1-4. They are looking forward to their final regular season match against Springfield on Friday the 24th at Ice Line.

Ice Hockey (girls) – Olivia Brubaker

After a tough loss to W.C. Rustin on the 11th, RGIH crushed LM 4-0 in the second annual Main Line Cup this past Wednesday. Both Miya Slaim and Sam Mitchell scored 2 goals respectively. The team is excited to celebrate Senior Night during their last game of the season on Friday the 24th against Pennridge.

Indoor Track (girls and boys) – Zoe Margolies

The Radnor track team had an eventful weekend! The boys team went to Lehigh twice last weekend for Friday’s Last Chance Meet and Saturday’s Track Carnival. On Friday, the boy’s 4×200 relay placed 3rd and the girl’s team joined the boy’s team on Saturday. The Indoor Season has definitely zoomed by!

Squash (girls and boys) – Rhea Howard

Last week saw the coed Varsity and coed JV take on the Varsity and JV of Germantown Friends School at the Germantown Cricket Club. Both matches resulted in no match wins for the Radnor Squash teams, but William Krizek (#1 on Varsity) played exceptionally in an intense five game match, making a comeback after losing the first two games. The final girls team match before Nationals took place at the Arlen Specter Center at Drexel University two weeks ago. In their first match, Radnor came out victorious with an 8-0 win, with no player dropping a single game. The next match was equally as successful, as the girls pulled through with another 8-0 victory! The final Radnor Boys Squash match before Nationals took place this Tuesday against the Conestoga B Team, resulting in a tough loss with a score of 7-0. However, many players won games meaning the performance was much improved from last year’s match against the Conestoga B team in which only one player won a single game. The next week will be spent in preparation for Boy’s and Girl’s High School Squash Nationals taking place next Friday!

Swimming (girls) – Maly Lindgren & Martina Becerril

The girls are concluding this season with strong overall performances. The Central League Championship meets were held on Friday February 10th and 11th. This meet was many of the girls’ last meet of the season.  A plethora of swimmers qualified for districts with their best times yet! Some specific girls are under the Coach’s list of possible state qualifiers. Very exciting news for those swimmers. The swimmers will keep on training for districts and for states—in the end hard work pays off!

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

Radnor boys swimming is wrapping up the season with fast times at championship meets. On February 10th and 11th, the boys swam at the Central League Championships, an exciting meet with high energy and fast times. With Centrals being many swimmers’ last meet of the season, almost all Radnor swimmers recorded new best times. Top performances came from Freshman Alex Yu in the 100 breaststroke, Juniors Andrew Yu (50/100 free), Colin Mucksavage (50/500 free), Jacob Kellerman (50/100 fly), Senior Captains Ray Luan (100 backstroke), and PJ Duffy (200/500 free). Multiple boys qualified for the District 1 Championship on the 24th and many more hope to qualify this Wednesday at Lower Merion during the Last Chance Meet. The Raptors will continue their rest practices until Districts and hope to qualify for the State Championship meet in March. 

Wrestling – Anton Skvortsov

After their romp of Great Valley, Radnor Wrestling is building towards the end of the season, looking to make it to the coveted Giant Center for PIAA states. However, the path to get there is anything but easy. On February 25th, Radnor wrestling will compete at the District One North tournament at Perkiomen Valley, where the top four placers in each weight class advance to the Southeast Regional. Regionals is a meat grinder, truly showing who the best of the best are as the top five placers make it to the State tournament. In preparation for this tough road ahead, Radnor Wrestling continues to train hard to close out their season.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.