Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #11

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

The winter sports that still have updates to contribute are killing their postseason journeys. Even as the cold weather begins to subside, the sun setting an hour later than last week, our winter athletes are relentless in extending their seasons as far as possible.

In a crossover episode for the ages, we also have some spring sports ready to document their current progress. This means, in the coming weeks, the Roundup will introduce a whole new set of writers; while sad to see the old ones go, I’m incredibly excited for this season of accomplishments!

The transition to spring is also bittersweet—at the end of this road, I’ll have to say goodbye to the Roundup. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves! We still have so many athletes to celebrate in the coming weeks. Enjoy the read!

—Edy

Winter:

Basketball (boys) – Margarita Moreland

4,000 spectators filled up the Liacouras for an occasion like no other: the District title game, a battle between the undefeated Radnor Raptors and the Unionville Longhorns. In a game where only one could be crowned district champion, Radnor made it their coronation as they dismantled Unionville 61-36. The Raptors’ journey continued as they faced Warwick in the first round of the PIAA State Tournament. A dominant performance from Jackson Hicke (30 points) guided the team past Warwick in a 70-59 win. In the second round, a strong showing from backcourt duo Danny Rosenblum (13 points) and Cooper Mueller (18 points) led Radnor past West Philadelphia High School 75-61. Looking forward, the team will meet Archbishop Ryan on Friday, March 17, at Bensalem High School. RBB clinched their first district title in 62 years, but a state title would be the first in the school’s storied history. Get your tickets before they sell out.

Cheerleading – Trinity Emery

As the cheerleading season comes to an end the team is looking forward to the 2023-24 season to see the incredible things the team can accomplish. If you are interested in trying out for the cheerleading team, you can find more information on the Radnor Cheerleading Instagram page. Keep your eyes out for more information on tryouts and open gyms being on 4/10. The cheerleaders are wishing the best for the Radnor Basketball Team as they move into the elite 8!

Color Guard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

After taking a break in order to support their friends and teammates in the musical, Radnor Color Guard took on two other teams at Upper Moreland and came in first with a score of 79.38. The team will continue to compete at Gateway Regional High School on March 18th and at Hatboro Horsham High School on March 25th.

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

The Raptors’ season is almost finished, with Junior Andrew Yu competing in the 50 freestyle at States on Friday the 17th and Saturday the 18th. An update will be provided in the next Radnor Sports Roundup.

Spring:

Softball – Naomi Gross

As winter comes to a close, Radnor softball kicks off. With the postponement of their first scrimmage, the team is excited to scrimmage Bishop Shanahan on Thursday 3/16 and face Chichester at home on Friday 3/17 for their first game. With many returning players and six seniors, the team carries a lot of experience on the field; however, this season will be the first for incoming freshmen playing on varsity. The softball team, led by senior captain Naomi Gross and junior captains Audrey Rubenstein and Laura Girton, is optimistic about the season and excited for their upcoming scrimmage and games! 

Lacrosse (boys) – Parnia Nasrullah

With the lacrosse spring season starting on March 6th, the juniors and seniors tried out for varsity later in the day while the freshman and sophomores tried out after school. The team had a competitive inner squad scrimmage on Sunday where the teams were split in half. Unfortunately, the scrimmage against Lawrenceville, a team from New Jersey, on Tuesday was cancelled due to harsh weather conditions, which leads the team to their other scrimmage against West Minister on Thursday, March 16th. Overall, the team is getting ready to kick off the season with amazing players and spirit.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.