Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #12

Photo by Olivia Brubaker

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

Spring is here! Many of our favorite sports have kicked off ahead of break next week, setting the stage for the successful seasons to come. I’m incredibly excited to see where this promising first Roundup leads us later this year. We already have track runners soaring the charts? Radnor’s at the top of our game.

Yet as we move into spring, we must say goodbye to the writers who so diligently reported Radnor’s performance this past winter. Make sure to catch a wrap-up on boy’s swimming below, as well as a recap on the stellar boy’s basketball season in Zoe Margolie’s recent article. Special thanks to the spring writers starting off this edition. You guys are amazing, and the Roundup wouldn’t be possible without your hard work.

Enough of the goodbyes and hellos. Time to get started!

—Edy

Swimming (boys) – Jacob Kellerman

Radnor boys closed their season with a stellar swim from Junior Andrew Yu at the State meet at Bucknell. Andrew recorded a time of 21.73 in the 50 freestyle, finishing 22nd. With the team’s banquet on Wednesday the 29th and the season over, the Raptors are excited to jump into the offseason. Radnor Boys Swimming will return next year!

Colorguard – Sofiia Kuzmenko

After the previous edition of the Sports Roundup, Radnor Color Guard took first place with a score of 77.44 at Gateway Regional High School. The following week, the team competed at Hatboro Horsham High School where they earned second place with a score of 83.23, narrowly missing first place by 0.53 points. This Saturday, the Color Guard is set to have two competitions at Garnet Valley High School. The second competition will determine their placement for championships in the MAIN circuit.

Lacrosse (boys) – Parnia Nasrullah

The boys lacrosse team kicked off the season by playing against Episcopal on Friday, March 24th. Unfortunately, they beat us with a close score of 8-7. However, fear not! The boys lacrosse team went in with full effort to defeat Haverford last Tuesday. They have two other games this week—Harrition Thursday and Malvern Prep on Saturday. The team plans on winning these upcoming games and heading into spring break strong!

Lacrosse (girls) – Angela Esgro

As Radnor Girls Lacrosse embarks on their 2023 season, the team has set its expectations high. On Tuesday, March 28th, Radnor successfully took home their first Central League win against Haverford High School on their home turf. With now two regular season wins and one tie, the girls are off to a promising start. The team travels to Harriton High School for their first away game on Thursday, then to Garden City High School in New York on Saturday. Radnor Girls Lacrosse is working hard to prepare for their upcoming games and looks to dominate throughout the season.

Softball – Naomi Gross

As the spring sports season kicks off, Radnor softball starts off with a win. In a nail-biting home game against Chichester on Friday 3/17, Radnor hung on to a victory in the ninth inning with a final score of 7-6. Shoutout to senior Meghan Dole, who not only pitched the entire game, but also scored the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. After tough losses to Upper Dublin and Strath Haven, Radnor softball maintains a 1-2 record with more games to come. The team will finish their postponed Penncrest game on Thursday 3/30 and play another home game this Friday against Great Valley in hopes of another win.

Track & Field (girls)  – Niva Menon and Zoe Margolies

As the season begins, the Radnor girls track and field team is looking strong. Wednesday, March 29th was not only distance runner Zoe Margolies’s birthday but also the first track meet of the season. Running the Central League meet at Garnet Valley, runners Amelia Dole, Emma Hyde, Stephanie Pratt, and Courtney Kearns secured a big win in the 4 by 800 meter relay, boosting morale all around. Freshman Kayla Cormier and Lauriel Morrison made a stunning debut for themselves as Cormier placed 6th in the 100 meter dash and once again in the 200 meter dash, and Morrison placed 5th in the long jump. Our distance runners Zoe Margolies and Courtney Kearns both flawlessly brought their A-game to the track as Margolies placed 2nd in both her mile and 2-mile, and Kearns placed second in her 800 meters, securing many points for the team. And last but not least our beautiful relay teams both placed 5th overall, granting a good day for Radnor girls track and field. As we look to the future we are excited to see what the runners have to hold and can’t wait for more meets to come!

Track & Field (boys)  – Niva Menon and Zoe Margolies

If you see a large group of guys continuously running in circles, then most likely you’re witnessing the Radnor boys track and field team in their element. As the boys geared up for their first meet of the season on Saturday, March 25th, they were met with heavy rains and strong winds, but did that stop them? No! Running their hardest, the boys team knew that Wednesday is when they would dominate, and so they did. On Wednesday, March 29th, the boys team ran their Central League meet at Penncrest; Lionel Dunbar, Ethan Catoe, and Amir Byrd all placed top five in their respective sprinting events, creating a strong start to the meet. Distance runner Luke Bodden showed his talent on the track by placing 1st in not only the mile, with a time of 4.22.95, but also the 2 mile, with a time of 9.31.15, making him number one in the state for the 2 mile! On the rise freshman Curtis Connor placed 4th in the 2 mile, and sophomore hurdlers Mason Shieh and Owen Lim placed 5th in their respective hurdling events. Senior Ethan Catoe once again brought a big win in the triple jump with a whopping length of 42-04.00, and junior Noah Wapole showed his strength placing 3rd in the high jump with a height of 5-04.00. As the boys head to spring break, make sure to look out for them—they are ready for the season!

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.