Radnor Sports Roundup 22-23: Edition #16

Edy MacKenzie, Editor-in-Chief

I was a varsity player for the first time my sophomore year—excited, nervous, and eager to prove myself. I remember choosing uniforms well. I had been #18 on JV and intended to continue with it, but someone else ahead of me chose the jersey before my turn. In a split second decision, I grabbed #16, the number my sister had worn on Radnor Girls Soccer the previous four seasons and my dad had donned during his high school and collegiate soccer careers.

I spent three years as #16. I experienced some of my most cherished memories and most difficult challenges while wearing that number. This Roundup, Edition #16, being the last feels very fitting. I promise not to be emotional for too long, but I’d like to thank everyone who participates in sports at Radnor, anyone who’s ever read the Roundup, and especially those that have contributed to making this whole operation possible. The success of this series depends entirely on your dedication and commitment. I have always felt that sports provide athletes with some of the strongest and most beloved character traits, and you guys exemplify these in every way possible.

I am proud to hand the Roundup off to both an accomplished writer and photographer, Margarita Moreland. Make sure to look out for her commentary on the 2023-2024 season next Fall!

While I’m saying goodbye to the Roundup today, I’ll never leave my experience with sports behind. My message to all of you: enjoy every season, every win, every defeat, every high five from a teammate. Don’t forget to carry the lessons you learn in the game to every other aspect of your life. Stay confident. Be kind, always.

—Edy, #16

Baseball – Jacob Farhy

As RABA puts a bow on a tough season, the team has a good taste in its mouth after taking down Plymouth Whitemarsh in a 3-0 home match. The shutout was thrown by freshman star Austin Havertine, who has a bright future ahead in the program. Although an otherwise quiet day for the Raptors at the dish, sophomores Joe Krasowski and Kyle Miltenberger were able to score, on a single and a walk respectively. Although only 7-13, Radnor Baseball is confident that more wins are to follow next season. The wins will likely be powered behind the bats of outfielder Teddy Monahan and shortstop Joe Krasowski, who made All-Central League Honorable Mention and Second Team. 

Crew (girls and boys) – Anna Conen

On Friday and Saturday, Radnor crew competed in the Stotesbury Cup Regatta, the world’s largest high school rowing competition. Across both teams, Radnor raced in ten different categories with seven boats making it to semi-finals. Many members of the club raced that day and then had to hurry to prom soon after. This Friday, the girls team heads to Oak Ridge Tennessee for the SRAA National Championships Regatta where they will have boats entered in the Varsity 8 and Second Varsity 8 categories. On Tuesday night, both teams had their annual banquets where they said goodbye to this year’s seniors and celebrated another successful year on the Schuylkill.

Lacrosse (boys) – Parnia Nasrullah

The boys lacrosse team ended the regular season by beating Salesianum. This led the team into playoffs where they played Council Rock North in the second round and successfully beat them. On Tuesday May 23, the team beat Kennett in the quarter Finals with a score of 16-6. The team plays Downingtown East for the semi-finals on Thursday, May 25, 2023. The team has been working very hard as they head into playoffs and hopefully make it to states! Wish them good luck! 

Lacrosse (girls) – Angela Esgro

Radnor Girls Lacrosse closed out their regular season (13-5-1) by defeating Manheim Township High School. The team successfully turned their season around and seven girls earned All-Central League honors. After Radnor received a bye in the first round of Districts, the girls practiced hard to prepare for their second-round game against Kennett High School. Radnor defeated Kennett 13-4 and advanced to the third round where they faced the Central League Champions, Springfield High School. Radnor lost a hard-fought battle against the Cougars on Tuesday (14-10). Fortunately, Radnor has the opportunity to punch their ticket to the State tournament by winning their playback game against Downingtown East today at 4 pm. 

Softball – Naomi Gross

After a season of great improvement, Radnor Softball concludes their season with a thrilling win on senior night and an unfortunate loss against Springfield last Monday. RSB doubled the number of wins from the previous year. The team will be graduating five senior players: Meghan Dole, Mia Engle, Naomi Gross, Abby Kloss, and Rory Rayer, as well as two team managers: Michael McNicholas and Katie Winston. The team is looking for new managers who are interested in recording the play book and taking photos during home and away games. Many awards were given out during the banquet this Tuesday. Senior Meghan Dole was awarded “Best Defense” for her invaluable pitching and effort, and junior Audrey Rubenstein was awarded “Best Offense” for the third consecutive year. The “Coaches’ Choice” awards were received by senior Mia Engle and junior Abby Rasmussen. Junior Laura Girton and senior Naomi Gross also received awards at the banquet. The team is always looking for new players, so reach out to RSB coaches Mrs. Verguldi-Scott or Mr. Ruby at the high school if you are interested!

Track & Field (girls)  – Niva Menon 

The 2023 girls track season has come to an end. This year we saw top performances from our various runners, and we want to wish them a big congratulations on their success. A big shoutout to Courtney Kearns, Zoe Margolies, and Sophia Hill, who all participated in the District 1 Championship; Zoe Margolies will be moving onto states this weekend where she will run the 3200 meter race! We wish her and the team best of luck. See you next season!

Track & Field (boys)  – Niva Menon 

The 2023 boys track season had come to an end. This year, the boys track team racked up various medals, personal best times, and points for the Radnor team, and we want to wish them a huge congratulations on the success they have had. Huge shoutout to Ethan Catoe, Mason Shieh, Luke Bodden, Liam Janschka, and the boys 4 by 100 meter relay who all participated in the District 1 Championship. Luke Bodden will move on to states this weekend where he will run the 3200 meter race. We wish him and the team best of luck. See you next season!

Ultimate Frisbee (girls)- Sofie Jubelirer

On Saturday May 13, the girls started a new chapter of their season: the road to states. The PHUEL cities tournament took place in Oaks, PA, where the team played four matches against some regular and new opponents. In their first game against Pennsbury, the teams were neck and neck until the end. Down at the half with a score of 5-4, Radnor needed to find motivation after Pennsbury scored four times in a row on them. They certainly achieved this, with an amazing assist from Rona Liu-Zhong to Marisa Ximenes. Radnor fought hard to bring the score to 7-7. It was only in the last point that Pennsbury secured the win, so it was a well fought match. However, the team could not let the match bring them down, as they had to immediately face off against Science Leadership Academy. Although they entered halftime down 5-4 again, their motivation pulled through in the final half. Notable credit for the 8-6 win goes to star senior Dija Turay who had not one, but six defensive blocks. After a nice break for lunch, the team got back on the line at 3:00 to face one of their toughest opponents of the day: Haverford. The first half started rough with HUDA pulling through with a 7-3 lead. However, just like the SLA game, the underdogs, Radnor, came back with a massive five point streak, with two points from Annika Dillon. Once again, Radnor came out on top with an impressive victory. For their final game, the girls faced off against “Swiss,” a combination of girls from Springfield and Wissahickon High School. Although they were tired, the team’s energy never faltered in their game. Another star senior, Hannah Yao, dominated both halves with three total points and one assist, along with three assists from Diana Huang. The team ended with a 12-7 win, leaving them with a 3-1 record at the end of the day. RGUF now moves onto states this weekend, where they will be traveling to Pittsburgh to compete!

Ultimate Frisbee (boys)- Antonio Westby and Sarah Tachau

Radnor Ultimate is States bound! Through all the adversity the boys have made it back to Pittsburgh with their stellar performance at the Cities qualifying tournament. They accomplished this feat by demolishing their long-heated rivals SLA, showing a strong desire to win in the 12-6 victory. That desire fueled them in the next two games; both ended in 13-3 wins against Salesianum and St. Joe’s Prep. Unfortunately, Radnor fell short to Wissahickon, the 2nd ranked team in the country. The loss hardly stalled them in the long run, because they secured their ticket to States with a dramatic 11-10 win over Holy Ghost. The team was in a frenzy over qualifying, becoming a part of the 16 best in the State. Their excitement is off the charts as they prepare to compete in Pittsburgh this weekend.

Interested in writing about Radnor sports for the Roundup? Contact Edy MacKenzie ([email protected], 610-517-2515) or stop by the next Radnorite meeting.